We hold two types of meetings : Pizza Limes and Tech Meetings. A Pizza Lime is the name given to our monthly discussion forum which is usually held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout, Port of Spain on the second Wednesday of the month. The tech meeting is when we have computers on site to demonstrate a particular type of hardware or software.
- 1 Saturday January 30 2010 – Automating software deployment on Windows
- 2 Saturday January 30 2010 – TTCS podcast #20
- 3 Saturday February 27th, 2010
- 4 Saturday April 10 2010
- 5 Saturday April 17 2010 – Apple iPad
- 6 Saturday April 24 2010 – Android Mobile Development
- 7 Wednesday May 5 2010
- 8 Tuesday 18th May 2010 – Ruby-web Frameworks
- 9 Sunday 30th May 2010
- 10 Thursday August 5 2010
- 11 Friday August 20 2010 – developing system to track/monitor disasters in Trinidad & Tobago
- 12 Wednesday 25 August 2010 ; developing system to track/monitor disasters in #Trinidad & #Tobago
- 13 Wednesday September 8 2010
- 14 Saturday September 11 2010
- 15 Saturday September 18 2010 – Software Freedom Day
- 16 Wednesday 13 October 2010
- 17 Sunday November 14 2010
- 18 November 12-13, 2010 – Diplo IG event, Tobago
- 19 Saturday November 20 2010
- 20 Wednesday December 1 2010
- 21 Thursday December 16 2010
Saturday January 30 2010 – Automating software deployment on Windows
Dev showed how to automate software
deployment on Windows using http://wpkg.org ; while also allows to keep software on Windows computers on a network up to date without having to visit each machine to tediously to uninstall and install new versions of software or installing new software.
Saturday January 30 2010 – TTCS podcast #20
Talked about the Apple iPad announcement – see http://www.ttcs.tt/podcasts/
Saturday February 27th, 2010
Held at Pizza Hut, La Romain (near Gulf City, San Fernando)
Saturday April 10 2010
This was a 2pm lunch at the Asian Buffet, Trincity Mall to discuss upcoming TTCS activities.
Saturday April 17 2010 – Apple iPad
We had a hands on look at the Apple iPad released by Apple the previous week
Saturday April 24 2010 – Android Mobile Development
Held in conjunction with the University of the West Indies Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Lecture Theatre #3, Floor 2 Block 13, Faculty of Engineering, University of the West Indies, St. Augustine.
This hands-on workshop guided participants through basic mobile application development using Android. A team at UWI also described their unique experience collaborating with MIT and Instituto Tecnologico de Monterrey in the development of Android applications for social and economic returns.
Wednesday May 5 2010
At Pizza Hut, Roxy, we talked about
- TSTT launches its Blink Broadband Prepaid package
(http://bit.ly/bzU6yP) in addition to its Blink on the Go package
(http://bit.ly/aAAwgi), both based on WiMAX
- the Telecommuncation Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT) releases “Draft Implementation plan for Number Portability in Trinidad and Tobago” (http://bit.ly/cOzSIk) for public comment.
- the Caribbean Innovators Competition 2010: “Mobile Applications for Development” (http://bit.ly/bVnWAH). Deadlines for submission is June 15th, 2010.
- the Apple iPad (http://www.apple.com/ipad/), and Steve Jobs’ “Thoughts on Flash” (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/
thoughts-on-flash/) on why Apple does not allow Flash on Apple iPhones, iPods and iPads.
- HP to Acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion (http://bit.ly/aHO6vZ)
- Ubuntu 10.04 “Lucid Lynx” LTS operating system for desktops, servers and netbooks released (http://www.ubuntu.com/).
Tuesday 18th May 2010 – Ruby-web Frameworks
We met at ENCO to discuss a survey of Ruby-based
Web Application Frameworks as presented by Mr. George Mubita, Computer Science Lecturer at the University of Southern Caribbean.
The presentation covered the following areas:
1. Overview of Ruby based web application frameworks:
● The Hobo+ Rails
2. The Ruby Language overview
3. Demo of a Hobo web application
4. Putting together a Web 2.0 (Rich Internet Application) with Rails
and Adobe Flex
Sunday 30th May 2010
This was an online meeting to discuss aspects of the
“Draft Implementation plan for Number Portability in Trinidad and
Tobago” document released for public comment by the Telecommunications Authority of Trinidad and Tobago (TATT)
Thursday August 5 2010
Held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout to discuss the upcoming Focus Group Discussion with the Ministry of Public Administration on Trinidad & Tobago ICT Strategy “Fastforward II”
Friday August 20 2010 – developing system to track/monitor disasters in Trinidad & Tobago
At this meeting, we’ll discussed the concept of designing a website using maps of Trinidad and Tobago to track and monitor disasters such as flooding and alert persons accordingly. The idea came from a email on the TTCS discussion mailing list, You can read the entire email thread at
Wednesday 25 August 2010 ; developing system to track/monitor disasters in #Trinidad & #Tobago
Followup session from the Friday August 20 meeting where we looked at solutions like https://www.ushahidi.com/
Wednesday September 8 2010
Held at Pizza Hut, Valsayn, we discussed
- the purchase of Laptop computers for SEA students
- planning for Software Freedom Day on September 18th 2010.
- planning for a TTCS November 2010 Tech Day event.
Saturday September 11 2010
preparatory meeting for Software Freedom Day (SFD) 2010 which will be on September 18th 2010. See http://www.ttcs.tt/blog/ttcs-meeting-on-saturday-september-11-2010-fr/ .
Among the work that was done was the creation of TTCS FSWIN CD, via a request from the Free Software Foundation in Europe to assist with their Software Freedom Day events. See TTCS FSWIN CD announcement
Saturday September 18 2010 – Software Freedom Day
The TTCS will be celebrating Software Freedom Day 2010 on September 18th 2010 with a booth display at Trincity Mall, Trincity from 10am to 5pm.
Our booth will showcase various aspects of Free and Open Source Software including :
- Free and Open Source Software for Windows included on our TTCS OSSWIN DVD (which was the first debut of the TTCS OSSWIN DVD)
- demoing Ubuntu, a popular linux-based operating system bundled with many applications.
- Ushahidi crowd-sourcing system to track/monitor incidents/disasters in Trinidad & Tobago
Wednesday 13 October 2010
Held at Pizza Hut, Roxy, we talked about
- the four ICT related events taking place in Trinidad and Tobago during November 2010
- planning for a TTCS November 2010 Tech Day event
- report and feedback of our Software Freedom Day event on September 18 2010 at Trincity Mall.
- the Ministry of Education’s eConnect & Learn Programme launched with the distribution of SEA laptops to several schools.
- the recent TATT ICT open forum “Electronic Payments System in Trinidad and Tobago – Legal, Cultural and Technological Challenges”
Sunday November 14 2010
This pizzalime was held at La Cantina, RBTT Compound, Milford Road, Store Bay, Tobago.
November 12-13, 2010 – Diplo IG event, Tobago
Two persons from the TTCS participated in this event
Saturday November 20 2010
Held at ENCO, we discussed
- the Interception of Communications Bill 2010
- an overview of the TTCS bye-laws
- the recent Cariforum Follow up workshop in Santo Domingo
- the recent DiploFoundation Internet Governance (IG) Diplomacy Training Workshop in Tobago
Wednesday December 1 2010
Held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout. we talked about
- TTCS Bye laws
- ISOC Chapter Formation
- Our attendance at the 39th ICANN meeting in Cartagena, Colombia from December 5-10, 2010.
Thursday December 16 2010
- TTCS’ participation in ICANN’s 39th public meeting held in Cartagena, Colombia from December 5-10 2010
- Internet Society Trinidad and Tobago Chapter Formation
- Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society bye-laws