We hold two types of meetings : Pizza Limes and Tech Meetings. A Pizza Lime is the name given to our monthly discussion forum which is usually held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout, Port of Spain on the second Wednesday of the month. The tech meeting is when we have computers on site to demonstrate a particular type of hardware or software.
January 9th, 2008 – TTCS pizza lime
Held at PizzaHut, topics likely to be discussed :
- Network Solutions accused of domain name front running :
- T&TEC to deploy broadband over power lines :
- Ordering an OLPC laptop from Trinidad ; Intel pulling out of the OLPC
- Warner backing Blu-ray and what it means for HD-DVD
- Microsoft Deprecating Some OOXML Functionality http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2007/12/21/500-national-body-comments-posting-today.aspx
- Launch of http://trinidadtunes.com/
Saturday January 26th, 2008 – TTCS tech meeting – look at OLPC and Asus EEEPC
Two One Laptop Per Child (OLPC ; http://www.laptop.org/) laptops were available at this meeting at Handarnold. The unique features of the OLPC laptops :
- the mesh networking capability allowing for sharing of activities between the two laptops (chat, video sharing)
- ability of the OLPC laptop to be used outdoors with the screen being visible in the sunlight
- the Sugar interface for the OLPC
- the journal showing how it interacts with files and programs in a simpler way for kids to understand
- various activities (“programs”) such as Turtle Art, Record, Browser, Etoys, Measure
Two Asus EEE PC laptops (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/product.htm) were also shown.
February 13th, 2008 – TTCS pizza lime
See https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/02/11/ttcs-pizzalime-on-wednesday-february-13th-2008/ for proposed list of topics.
March 25th, 2008 – TTCS pizzalime
Held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout. Topics discussed :
– The Education Ministry plans to install network camera in 36 schools : https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/02/16/trinidad-and-tobago-education-ministry-to-consider-installing-network-cameras-in-36-schools/
A lot of discussion focused on whether cameras help with solving crime and whether it is worth giving up privacy to make people safer.
– TTBS and DIS29500 : https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/03/07/ttcs-recommendation-to-trinidad-and-tobago-bureau-of-standards-regarding-its-vote-on-dis29500/
an overview of the recent activity of the TTBS and its approval vote of DIS29500
– The most popular Matt in the world registers a .tt domain : https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/02/17/the-most-popular-matt-in-the-world-registers-a-tt-domain/
J. Morris was present to discuss there will be a consultation done regarding how .tt will be run sometime in April 2008. Some discussion on the various models for .tt
– Laqtel’s concession to provide mobile services in TnT revoked : https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/03/23/laqtels-concession-to-provide-mobile-services-in-trinidad-and-tobago-terminated/
– Internet Governance Forum deadline for workshop proposals is April 30th – does TTCS want to participate? didn’t get time to get to this topic 🙁
Meeting concluded around 10pm
Thursday April 17th, 2008 – TTCS pizzalime
Held at Pizza Hut, Valsayn. Topics discussed/things done :
- the recent Telecom Authority seminar “Balance on the airwaves ; free speech and responsibility”. The presentations from this seminar is online at TATT’s website at http://www.tatt.org.tt/Broadcast_code/Seminar_Apr_08/Presentations.htm
- unpacking of an OLPC obtained by the Give One Get One program
- discussion of the TTBS voting to approve DIS29500
Sunday April 20th, 2008 – Hacking the Nintendo Wii Remote
Held at Handarnold, we demonstrated Johnny Chung Lee’s project “Low-Cost Multi-point Interactive Whiteboards Using the [Nintendo Wii] Wiimote”. Visit Johnny Lee’s website at http://www.johnnylee.net/ for more details. A video of this was recorded and is in three parts :
Part I is a presentation by Mike Tikasingh showing how the infra-red pens were made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-Vwj6hnow
Part II is a presentation by Paul Worswick showing how the Nintendo Wii Remote was connected to a Windows PC wirelessly using Bluetooth. He then showed how to use the infra-red pen to turn a computer screen projected on a wall to create a interactive whiteboard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0eF-ejMXOI
Part III shows the practical use of the infra-red pen and the Wiimote to create a interactive whiteboard from the computer screen projected on a wall and then on a computer screen projected on a table. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT_HkU_jAIk
Wednesday June 18th, 2008 – TTCS pizzalime and demo of Amazon Kindle
Mike T. demoed a Kindle, an ebook reader from Amazon.
Other topics discussed :
- Trinidadian charged for turning off computer
- Business Software Alliance Trinidad ads
- Help Firefox get a world record on Tuesday 17th June 2008 – Jamaica had 1792 downloads, Trinidad and Tobago 1724 downloads
- the Trinidad Guardian website misconfiguration resulting in a demo page using PHPcow being online for over a day
- the TTBS wanting to adopt ISO/IEC 27002 as a voluntary IT standard
Saturday June 28th, 2008 – IPv6
Held at Engineering Consultants, Mr. Andre Thompson from UWI gave an informative presentation about IPv6 and details about RIRs such as ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers ; http://www.arin.net/) and the recent ARIN meeting he attended.
The presentation can be viewed as a PDF file : TTCS-IPv6-20080625.pdf
Wednesday July 2nd, 2008 – sending and receiving electronic payments
Held at TATIL offices on Maraval Road, Port of Spain from 5:30pm, the manager of the Trinidad and Tobago Interbank Payments System Limited (TTIPS) gave an presentation about TTIPS and how inter-bank transactions worked.
Wednesday July 16th, 2008 – TTCS pizzalime
Held at Pizza Hut, Roxy Roundabout ; topics discussed :
- The Ministry of Public Administration releases Draft National Policy on Electronic Business For Trinidad and Tobago. https://www.ttcs.tt/blog/2008/07/11/mpa-releases-draft-national-policy-on-electronic-business-for-trinidad-and-tobago/. One key point was the definition of e-commerce used in the draft policy did not include the transfer on money electronically. It was decided that a wiki page (done a few days after this meeting) be setup to begin to gather comments since there was no deadline specified on the MPA’s website.
- security flaw in DNS
- TATT releases “Draft Universality Implementation Plan for Telecommunications Services in Trinidad and Tobago” http://www.tatt.org.tt/ddocs/Universality%20_Implementation_Plan.pdf
- planning for Software Freedom Day 2008 : http://softwarefreedomday.org/. We discussed ideas and possible venues for SFD 2008. A SFD 2008 planning wiki page was setup a few days after this event.
Sunday July 27th, 2008, 5pm – TTCS Online meeting for SFD2008
Our first official online meeting using Skype to discuss plans for Software Freedom Day 2008, see https://files.ttcs.tt/ttcs-wiki-sfd2008-planning.pdf#MeetingNotes/AgendaforJuly27th2008from5pmviaSkype for meeting notes.
Wednesday August 13th 2008 – TTCS pizzalime
Held at Pizza Hut, Valsayn. Meeting was consumed with planning for Software Freedom Day 2008 ; what type of presentations could be done, and who would do them.
Sunday August 24th, 2008, 5.00pm – TTCS Online meeting for SFD 2008
A second co-ordination online meeting for SFD 2008. Meeting notes at https://files.ttcs.tt/ttcs-wiki-sfd2008-planning.pdf#MeetingNotesforSundayAugust24th2008viaSkype
Saturday 6th September 2008 – TTCS workshop on SFD 2008
Worked on the various flyers and letters needed for SFD 2008
Friday September 12th, 2008 – SFD 2008 media launch event
Held at the Atrium at Guardian Holdings Limited from 6-8pm. See Photos from the Media Launch at Guardian Life Limited, Westmoorings
Saturday September 20th, 2008 – Software Freedom Day 2008
Held at the Old Fire Station Building, National Library, Port of Spain. See https://www.ttcs.tt/meetings/software-freedom-day-2008-report/ See a 38 minute video of interviews taken at Software Freedom Day 2008 as well as a Photos from Software Freedom Day 2008 at the Old Fire Station, Ministry of Public Administration
Tuesday 23rd September 2008 – SFD 2008 analysis
Held at Engineering Consultants, we discussed the SFD 2008 event and looked at some of the video footage captured at the event.
Thursday October 2nd, 2008 – PizzaLime
Held at Pizza Hut Valsayn, we discussed the recent SFD 2008 event and fastforward II, Trinidad and Tobago’s national ICT strategy for 2009-2013 by the Ministry of Public Administration
Saturday October 11th, 2008 – Workshop on Draft E-business policy
Held at Engineering Consultants, we discussed and planned our response to the proposed National E-business Policy of Trinidad and Tobago . The deadline for comments was October 13th, 2008. A wiki page was used : http://ttcsweb.pbwiki.com/Draft-National-Policy-on-Electronic-Business-For-Trinidad-and-Tobago (PDF of wiki page)
Monday 3rd November 2008 from 7:30pm – TTCS online meeting
Due to a meeting with the Ministry of Public Administration (MPA) later that week, the TTCS online meeting was done to discuss the draft Trinidad and Tobago Government Omnibus Technical Standards (eGOTS) which describes the technical standards in the areas of
- networking (e.g IPv4, 802.11g, WebDAV)
- data integration (these relate to the format of the data being transferred including file format types e.g DOC, PDF, MP3)
- application / presentation (e.g POP3, CSS2, AJAX, RSS)
- security (e.g Kerberos v5, SHA-256, WEP, web services (SOAP 1.2, WS-Discovery, WS-Reliability v1.1)
to be used within and by the Trinidad and Tobago Government for the exchange of information between : Government and citizens (G2C), Government and Businesses (G2B) and Different Government entities (G2G).
Thursday 6th November 2008 – PizzaLime
At Pizza Hut, Roxy, we discussed the problems of e-commerce in Trinidad and Tobago.