TTCS OSSWIN v2.30 released August 27 2018. See the Changelog
The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) has put together a collection of nearly 90 Open Source Software for WINdows (OSSWIN) available for download as an 4GB ISO.
Called TTCS OSSWIN, this collection of Free and Open Source Software is for any home or business (i.e. any) user running Microsoft Windows (Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7) on their computers.
You can use your web browser to read detailed information about each program in this compilation : what the program does, view a screenshot or video of the program, and to find links to the program’s website and to download/install the program from the TTCS OSSWIN collection.
The web-based interface allows you to quickly browse the variety of software organised into the following categories:
- Desktop Applications
- Sound and Video
Alternatively, you can also browse TTCS OSSWIN online at http://ttcsosswin.ttcs.tt/ which features the web interface to learn about Free and Open Source programs in various categories, including screenshots or videos of the programs and a link to the program’s website where you can download the program.
- 1 Key features of the TTCS OSSWIN
- 2 How can I get the TTCS OSSWIN?
- 3 Download TTCS OSSWIN v2.30
- 4 How to use TTCS OSSWIN
- 5 Hardware and Software Requirements for TTCS OSSWIN
- 6 List of software on TTCS OSSWIN
- 7 How is the TTCS involved in this project?
- 8 What is Free and Open Source Software?
Key features of the TTCS OSSWIN
- Easy to install
- While many Free and Open Source Software are easy to install, some Free and Open Source Software for Windows are made available as ZIP files which require the user to manually extract the files to a directory and then use Windows Explorer to browse to the directory and run the program. The TTCS has created standard .EXE installers for these applications. This allows the user to easily install and uninstall programs in the collection
- Easy to browse with Windows Explorer
- All of the software on TTCS OSSWIN is in the “Software” folder with subfolders for each of the categories. This makes it easy for those users who are familiar with the collection to use Windows Explorer to browse and install software on another machine.
- Software on TTCS OSSWIN is kept up to date at time of purchase
- The TTCS OSSWIN is burnt “on demand” for upcoming TTCS meetings and/or email requests to purchase collection either of DVD or on a USB stick. Buyers receive the most recent stable versions of the software at time of purchase.
How can I get the TTCS OSSWIN?
If you have broadband access, you can download the TTCS OSSWIN.
TTCS OSSWIN version 2.30 was created on August 27 2018 and is available for download as an .ISO file. It is nearly 4GB in size, so this is feasible only if you have broadband.
You can also browse TTCS OSSWIN online at http://ttcsosswin.ttcs.tt/ which features the web interface to learn about Free and Open Source programs in various categories, including screenshots or videos of the programs and a link to the program’s website where you can download and install the program.
Download TTCS OSSWIN v2.30
- Date created : August 27 2018
- File name : ttcs_osswin_v230.iso
- File size : 4.21 GB (4,527,374,336 bytes)
- MD5 checksum : 287cbf53 b7cae6e1 8a346207 b014af7b / 287cbf53b7cae6e18a346207b014af7b
- SHA-1 : 96fdb602 e2c26fbe cb0bd4f3 49f3db64 e2f142dd / 96fdb602e2c26fbecb0bd4f349f3db64e2f142dd
- SHA-256 : 0454e892 90d2895e a2ccefbb 8eea7123 2a7d4aca
c1bd82d0 22f9d1d4 e7813f6e / 0454e89290d2895ea2ccefbb8eea71232a7d4acac1bd82d022f9d1d4e7813f6e
(We welcome mirrors! Email [email protected])
Changes from TTCS OSSWIN 2.20
- New : NAPS2, Rufus
- Updated : LibreOffice, GanttProject, 7-zip, Notepad++, PDFSam, ConvertAll, TreeLine, Stellarium, Gcompris, Extreme Tux Racer, Tanglet, Battle for Wesnoth, FreeCiv, Lucas Chess, LBreakout2, GIMP, ImageGlass, ShareX, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Filezilla, Miranda IM, XAMPP, Audacious, Qmmp, PDFCreator, VirtualBox, UltraVNC
- Removed : InfraRecorder
Use a program like VisualHash or WinHasher to hash your downloaded file to see if it matches the hashes here. If your downloaded file hash is different, then your downloaded file is different from the file the TTCS has published and should NOT be trusted.
How to use TTCS OSSWIN
However, you can use a program like WinCDEmu to “mount” the ISO file to view and access the ISO as if it was an DVD disc in a DVD drive.
Alternatively, you can use 7-Zip to extract the files to a folder on your hard drive or removable storage such as a USB flash drive.
Hardware and Software Requirements for TTCS OSSWIN
This collection of Free and Open Source Software is intended for use on the following versions of Windows : Windows® 10/8/7/.
The software requirements for each program/application varies but if your Windows PC is already running a program that falls in one of the categories (e.g. Desktop Applications, Graphics, Internet, etc) it can probably run the programs listed under that category.
List of software on TTCS OSSWIN
Below is the software included in the TTCS OSSWIN v2.30 created August 27 2018.
- Desktop Applications
- LibreOffice 6.1.0 free office productivity suite (word processor, spreadsheet, presentations) compatible with all major office suites
- GanttProject 2.8.9 Gantt chart based project scheduling and management tool
- Money Manager EX 1.3.3 personal finance manager
- 7-Zip 18.05 file archiver with high compression ratio.
- Notepad++ 7.5.8 text editor with special features for coders
- Notepad2 4.2.25 text editor with the look and feel of Notepad but with more features
- Sumatra PDF 3.1.2 slim, portable, Free and Open Source Software PDF viewer for Windows.
- PDFsam 3.3.7 Split, merge, rotate, mix and extract pages from PDF files
- WinMerge 2.14.0 WinMerge is a Win32 tool for visual difference display and merging, for both files and directories.
- ConvertAll 0.7.5 Unit Conversion program
- Tomboy 1.15.9 Simple note-taking for your desktop
- Wikidpad 2.2 Wiki-like notebook for storing anything you can think of to write down
- TreeLine 3.0.0 store your data in a tree structure to keep things organised
- Graph 4.4.2 plot mathematical functions
- Speedcrunch 0.12 fast, high precision and powerful desktop calculator.
- Tux Paint 0.9.22 Tux Paint is a free drawing program designed for children
- Tux Typing 2 1.8.1 educational typing tutor for kids and adults alike
- TuxMath 2.0.3 “Tux, of Math Command” is an educational typing tutor for children
- Marble 2.2.0 Virtual Desktop globe and geographical atlas ; offers viewing of OpenStreetMaps
- Celestia 1.6.1 space simulation to explore the universe in any direction
- Stellarium 0.18.2 Map the night sky on your computer
- Maxima 5.41.0 A sophisticated computer algebra system
- Gcompris 0.91 a collection of educational games for’suite’ of educational games for young children 2 to 10
- Kobo Deluxe 0.5.1 space ship “shoot-them-up” style game
- Extreme Tux Racer 0.7.5 High speed artic racing game
- Crack Attack 1.1.14 fast-paced puzzle game inspired by the classic Super NES title Tetris Attack!
- Enigma 1.21 find and uncover pairs of stones. Based on Oxyd
- Scorched3D 44 turn based artillery game based on the classic DOS game Scorched Earth. Supports LAN and internet play
- Anagramarama 0.4 Create as many words from the given letters
- Tanglet 1.5.3 Create as many words from adjacent letters arranged in a grid. Based on the game Boogle
- Neverball 1.6.0 tilt the floor to roll a ball through an obstacle course
- Battle for Wesnoth 1.14.4 turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme
- FreeCiv 2.6.0 turn-based multiplayer strategy game, in which each player struggles to become the leader of a civilization
- Portable Puzzle Collection 20180615 collection of small one-player puzzle games
- Sokoban YASC 1.651 Yet Another Sokoban Clone – for Windows
- Pingus 0.7.6 guide a group of penguins through various obstacles. Inspired by the game “Lemmings”
- SuperTux 0.5.1 a 2D jump ‘n run sidescroller game.
- Pang Zero 1.3 fast paced action game that involves popping balloons with a harpoon.
- Armagetron Advanced 0.2.8.3.4 action game modeled after the lightcycle sequence of the movie Tron ; supports multiplayer over LAN
- Lucas Chess 11.10a play chess against the computer
- LBreakout2 2.6.3 Use your paddle to aim a ball at bricks until all bricks are destroyed
- GIMP 2.10.6 bitmap editor suitable for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- Pinta 1.6 Simple image and photo editing tool for Windows
- ImageGlass 220.127.116.11 verstaile image viewer
- ShareX 12.2.0 capture or record any area of your screen
- Blender 2.79b 3D modeling, animation, rendering application
- draw.io 8.8.0 A diagram creation program to create flowcharts, network diagrams, user interface mockups and more
- My Photo Index 1.24.3552 photo organiser to organise, view and share your photos
- Inkscape 0.92.3 scalable vector graphics format (SVG) drawing tool
- Mozilla Firefox 61.0.2 Award-winning Web browser that’s fast, secure, and easy to use
- Mozilla Thunderbird 60.0 powerful e-mail and newsgroup client.
- FileZilla 3.36.0 fast FTP and SFTP client
- Deluge 1.3.15 download files via BitTorrent, a client file-sharing protocol created to overcome the obstacles of transferring large files over the Internet
- BlueGriffon 3.0.1 a WYSIWYG webpage editor to create/edit webpages
- HTTrack Website Copier 3.49-2 HTTrack is a free and easy-to-use offline browser utility.
- Miranda IM 0.10.80 A multi-protocol instant messenger (IM) client
- PoptrayU 5.2.6 Email notifier for Windows
- gPodder 3.10.3 Manage your audio and video podcasts
- Persepolis Download Manager 3.1.0 Download manager to download files via http(s) or (s)ftp
- Sound and Video
- Audacity 2.2.2 Free audio editor and recorder
- VideoLAN 3.0.3 VLC is a multimedia player for various audio and video formats
- LMMS 1.1.3 Free music creation software
- VirtualDub 1.10.4 VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility
- Audacious 3.10 lightweight audio player with many useful to manage your music library
- Qmmp 0.11.2 Audio Player similar to Winamp
- PDFCreator 3.2.2 easily create Adobe Acrobat® PDFs from any Windows application that can print.
- NAPS2 5.8.2 Easily scan documents to PDFs
- ClamWin Free AntiVirus 0.99.4 Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/
- Virtualbox 5.2.18 run virtual PCs for you to install and run guest operating systems
- WinDirStat 1.1.2 disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows
- Rufus 3.1 Format and create bootable USB flash drives from bootable ISOs
- PathSync 0.40 beta2 an interactive directory (path) synchronizer for windows
- UltraVNC 18.104.22.168 remotely control a computer over TCP/IP
- mDesktop 1.7.2 A free, fast and feature-filled virtual desktop manager for Windows.
- Virtual Magnifying Glass 3.6 screen magnification tool for Windows
- Folder Size 2.6 adds a new column to the Details view in Windows Explorer to show the size of folders.
- KeePass 2.39.1 a password database manager to stores your passwords securely
- AxCrypt 2.1.1560.0 File Encryption Software for Windows.
- VeraCrypt 1.22 creates on-the-fly-encrypted disk partitions (hard disk, USB flash drive)
- WinHasher 1.6.2 Free cryptographic file hash generator for Windows
- Launchy 2.6 beta 2 Keystroke Launcher for Windows
- Ant Renamer 2.12.0 makes easier the renaming of lots of files and folders by using specified settings.
- AutoHotKey 1.1.29.01 scripting language to automate Windows tasks
- Really Slick Screensavers 0.2 a collection of OpenGL-based screensavers
- Spirex 2.25 an OpenGL based 3D screensaver
- Run With Parameters 2.1.6 Run windows apps with parameters without using a command prompt
How is the TTCS involved in this project?
Members of the TTCS:
- Downloaded, tested/evaluated the various applications, utilities, games, etc. included in the compilation.
- Where necessary, created installers for those applications without an installer.
- Created and tested the web based user interface.
- Created a web page for each program with the program’s description, its key features and related links.
- Distributes the collection online for use by general public of Trinidad and Tobago and worldwide.
What is Free and Open Source Software?
Free and Open Source Software is software for which the “guts” of the program can be freely downloaded and altered to suit your needs (provided you can do the programming). There are many types of Free and Open Source Software. The difference lies in the way altered versions of the software can be distributed, so, if you customise the software for your own needs, then decide to distribute it, you may be bound by specific terms.
Many Free and Open Source Software projects make ready to install executable versions for various operating systems including Windows.
You can do the following with Free and Open Source Software :
- Install the software on any number of machines in any environment (home or commercial) without purchasing licence fees for each machine.
- Obtain and modify the source code and distribute modified versions of the program together with the modified source code. Free and Open Source Software licenses differ in how such source code can be distributed or licensed for others to also do what you have done.
Here are several links for you to learn more about Free and Open Source Software :
- The Open Source Definition Published by the Open Source Initiative (OSI) organisation. It lists the criteria by which software can be considered “open source” software.
- The Free Software Definition – “Free software” as defined by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). The word “free” refers to freedom, not price.
- Why “Free Software” is better than “Open Source”. While “free software” meets the definition of open source software, not all open source software meets the free software definition.
- FLOSS Concept Booklet.