The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS ; http://ttcsweb.org/) will be having a meeting on Saturday September 8th, 2007 from 1pm to 6pm at Engineering Consultants at 112A Edward Street, Port of Spain (corner of Oxford and Edward Streets).
We need your help at this meeting to prepare for Software Freedom Day (SFD) on Saturday Sept 15th, 2007. SFD is a global, grassroots effort to educate the public about the benefits and availability of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS).
In order to make SFD a great experience for those learning about Free/Open Source Software (FOSS) for the first time, we need to:
- make a flyer about TTCS, TTCS OSSWIN CD, Ubuntu and Open Source.
- make a flyer to promote the Software Freedom Day event
- test machines which will be used for SFD. Minimum of three PCs needed, so far.
- test a PC with Ubuntu installed.
- practice how to do various tasks in Ubuntu that persons on other OSes are accustomed to.(e.g. common internet tasks, playing media content, installing a printer, etc).
- have a Windows PC to show how to dual boot with Ubuntu or another “live”/hard drive-installed Linux distro.
- have a Windows PC to demo Open Source Software for Windows (Microsoft Windows 98SE, Me, 2000, XP).
- have a Windows Vista PC (if possible) to demo Open Source Software on this latest OS.
- if possible, have a laptop running Ubuntu to show how it works on such a device.
Linux/OSS fans, Windows users, Mac users, anyone is welcome to assist ith this project. If you can help us with these tasks, have ideas, suggestions, would like to volunteer to help with SFD 2007, then email the TTCS at admin at ttcsweb d.o.t org. Let us know if you will be attending the TTCS meeting on Saturday September 8th.