Apple App Store turns 5 years old. Apple launched its App Store on July 10, 2008 with 500 apps for its iOS devices (then iPhone and iPod Touch).
Today, there are more than 900,000 apps and Apple announced over 50 billion apps were downloaded from the App Store, with customers downloading more than 800 apps per second at a rate of over two billion apps per month on the App Store.
To celebrate the 5 year anniversary, Apple is giving away 5 games and 5 apps for a limited time and also noting various milestones in the App Store’s 5 year history.
The 5 free apps (text from the Apple Store) :
- Barefoot World Atlas – Learn about the world, its nations, and its wonders through this dazzling interactive globe
- Day One (Journal / Diary) – Record moments every day using photos, places and words with this intuitive journal
- How to Cook Everything – Learn to cook more than 2,000 gourmet recipes using this robust kitchen companion
- Over – Help your photos stand out by adding custom captions, logos and stylish doodles
- Traktor DJ for iPhone – Mix like a pro with a DJ app that puts industry-leading features right at your fingertips
and the 5 free games –
- BADLAND – An Apple Design Award Winner, Badland is an incredible action game with stunning graphics
- Infinity Blade II – With smart gameplay and gorgeous graphics, this action packed epic absolutely shines
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP – This elegant 8-bit adventure uses touch based puzzles to deliver a poignant story
- Tiny Wings – This endearing classic features charming style and thrilling momentum-based gameplay
- Where’s My Water? – A simple and challenging puzzle game that features intuitive controls and a lovable mascot
Visit the links separately or visit the 5 years of the App Store link (note this link will ask you to open the link in iTunes)