The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) has had several calls over the past 2 months discussing how to refurbish computers.
Among the things done so far:
- documented procedure for refurbishing computers as we want the refurbished computers by TTCS volunteers to be done to a particular standard
- developed a inventory system workflow for tracking donors, donated equipment and the refurbished computers
- collaborating with Restore a Sense of I Can (RSC), a network of secondary school computer/IT clubs which has 10 year old 50 Dell Optiplexes – some Pentium D but many Core2 Duos with 4GB RAM – to date we’ve collected 50+ computers and working on those.
- put out a public call for donations of computer equipment https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/ and one company has donated 9 computers and other miscellaneous equipment.
- Several TTCS members have purchased SSDs for these machines.
- reactivated the TTCS Slack (a group chat solution) room where a lot of the messaging regarding computer refurbishment is taking place.
However, there are very few volunteers doing the actual refurbishing and we do need funds to purchase things like SSDs and miscellaneous accessories. So, please
- if you have old computers or even parts like DDR2 RAM lying around, consider donating them to TTCS so we can complete refurbishing this batch of computers by completing the form at https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/
- if you are willing to help refurbish computers, please join the effort.
- If you wish to join the TTCS and help refurbish computers or be assist with other TTCS projects, sign up at https://ttcs.tt/jointtcs/
- If you wish to donate funds to assist with purchasing of computer parts to refurbish computers, email [email protected]
- circulate/post the donate computer equipment form on your website, social media channels https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/