The Trinidad and Tobago Computer Society (TTCS) has had several calls over the past 2 months discussing how to refurbish computers.
Among the things done so far:
- documented procedure for refurbishing computers as we want the refurbished computers by TTCS volunteers to be done to a particular standard
- developed a inventory system workflow for tracking donors, donated equipment and the refurbished computers
- collaborating with RSC, a network of secondary school computer/IT clubs which has 10 year old 50 Dell Optiplexes – some Pentium D but many Core2 Duos with 4GB RAM – to date we’ve collected 15 computers and working on those.
- put out a public call for donations of computer equipment https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/ and one company has donated 9 computers and other miscellaneous equipment.
- Several TTCS members have purchase SSDs for these machines
- reactivated the TTCS Slack (a group chat solution) room where a lot of the messaging regarding computer refurbishment is taking place.
However, there are very few volunteers doing the actual refurbishing. So, please
- if you have old computers or even parts like DDR2 RAM lying around, consider donating them to TTCS so we can complete refurbishing this batch of computers https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/
- if you are willing to help refurbish computers, please join the effort.
- If you wish to join the TTCS Slack or join the TTCS discussion email list, email [email protected]
- circulate/post the donate computer equipment form on your website, social media channels https://www.ttcs.tt/donate-computer-equipment-for-refurbishing/